Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Shape Run 2015

It's my 2nd year participating in Shape Run. Reason being, I've always enjoyed women race more than unisex race because the race pack is always filled with goodies! 

This year marked the 10th year anniversary of Shape Run hence they launched a new race category which is the 15km race. 

I did not gave much thought and signed up for the 15km race since it's only a few dollars more expensive than the 10km race. And it's a slightly different route for the 15km so why not!

The race pack collection was held at Raffles City Shopping Centre, nearly 3 weeks before the actual race day. Glad that it didn't clash with my BKK trip if not it will be really troublesome to collect the racepack at a different day and location.


The queue was quite long due to the after work peak period and I waited around 45 minutes before it finally reached my turn. 


Overall the whole race pack collection was well organised and the queue moved fast enough.  


All the goodies from the race pack. Shape run have one of the most/best goodies in their racepack. 

On therace day, the flag off time for 15km was at 6am. I was totally dreading it because I didn't really train for the race. And it was 15km! I've to convinced myself that it's just 5km more than my usual 10km race, it shouldn't pose much a problem. #selfmotivation

I was afraid I couldn't make it because it will be my longest race this year. I didn't signed up for 21km for GEWR2015(even though I was very tempted) because I'm afraid I don't have the chance to train and the race will be very torturing rather than enjoyable.

Anyway, given the fact that I just came back from BKK that week, I take it as a chance to burn the fats gained from all the good food eaten in BKK lol. It's more like a fats-burning race rather than a achieving personal-best race because I still can have many other race to achieve my PB.  


#flatlay of my attire to the race! 

I still remember clearly the pre-race jitters I felt the entire day and how I force myself to sleep early as I got to wake as early as 4.30AM.

I reached the race site before 6am and it was at Kallang Practice Track. It's my first time going there! 

Many race have being held there ever since it was opened but I didn't have a chance to join those race. 


The scene while waiting for flag off.

Surprisingly the participants for the 15km race wasn't as much as I've expected. Or maybe many was late because the race starts too early. 

The race started sharply at 6am after the warm up. The first 5km was done in almost complete darkness (except for the street lights) as the sun has not rise yet. It wasn't easy because I was in half asleep mode during the first 5km. There were some areas which were really dark (especially at the F1 pit area) which made me even more sleepy with the cooling wind blowing into my face.

After I reached the 5km mark, I told myself the race has just 'started' and I should count down as I go pass by every distance marker. That's how I motivated myself along the way. 

I was infront of the 2:00HR pacer all this while till after 10km. That's when the sun has risen and my legs have also started to feel tired. 


Kudos to the 2:00HR pacer who have cheered/motivated me along the way. 

The tiredness kicked in at the last few km. What seems so near can be so far but yet the feeling of getting close to the finishing point makes me never give up. 

Derp was standing by for me at the finishing point when I was at my last km. That really motivates me to stop slacking and faster complete the race. 


Witness the whole sun rise that morning...


The scenery was scenic enough :) 


Yet another slope! There were quite a few up and down slopes throughout the race but I remembered what the pacers said "take small steps and you won't feel so tired" 

And indeed, I complete the race :) 

Below are some pics Derp took of me when I passed by the finishing line and running to find him haha!






Super shag face


Unglam face and I didn't know when he took it lol. 

I crossed the finishing line slightly below 2 hours. I'm glad I didn't took 3 hours because I've been telling people how long I didn't run and I've got zero confidence to complete it. 

When I was looking at the race guide, there were 1h40mins, 1h50mins and 2hour pacer. I told myself to at least keep up with the 2 hour pacer and I did :) 

Some more pics below...


Pic credit to Running Shots


Pic credit to Running Shots

I look better here than previously lol. There's more shag face photo just that I didn't post it up. 


The official results :) 


The finisher singlet and medal 

This year race was indeed a better race than last year.This finisher singlet is more nicer looking than the previous year. The collection of the singlet, medal and etc were done better than last year. Indeed, it was a more well-organized race this year. 

There were sufficient water points and no bottle neck. Stepping out of my usual 10km comfort zone to participate in the 15km race cat was indeed #achievementunlocked . 

I hope that they will continue to have the 15km race category in the following years to come.

Looking forward to Shape Run 2016!

No comments :

Post a Comment