Sunday, December 14, 2014

Last Race of 2014: Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore

It's my first time participating in Standard Chartered Marathon ever since I started running in May 2013.

Every year, my company gives us free slot to run so I'm more than willing to sign up for it. I give it a miss last year and told myself I have to go for this year SCMS. The fees for participating in this marathon is not cheap at all and the race pack has nothing much. I'm glad that I only need to collect the race pack from my company's HR and need not head down to the race expo to queue for it. Heard that the queue is really long! 

The day before the race, I kindly agreed to bring my company's vendor from Italy, to the starting line. They heard about our company's people running so they were enthusiastic about it. My colis managed to find two 10km bibs for them, and so that's how I came about bringing them to the start pen :)

The only marathon in Singapore whereby MRT operates much earlier than usual, so we met up at Esplanade MRT before walking to the start pen.

We got caught up in the massive human jam before Anderson Bridge. We took 20 minutes to get through it. I only came to realize they cut off half of the bridge to welcome back the first few runners of the full marathon. Saw a glimpse of them and they were on full speed dashing to the finishing line. Everyone was clapping and cheering for them loudly when they pass by.


Human jam begins here.


Can't believe there's someone out there who have the mood to use selfie stick. No idea if he's trying to see what's going on infront of video recording the whole situation.  

The Italians requested for a photo to be taken when we were stuck at the human jam. So I went to find a passerby to help us take a picture using one of their phone. 


This was us before the race (the names on their bibs are not their real name lol)


Do-Re-Mi

I truly believed when I looked back in years to come, I will still be smiling at this photo. My other colis who saw this photo say we look like statue smiling to the camera. lol.

That's because they have made my last race of 2014 a really different(in a way good) race. 

I was actually quite disappointed when I was caught up in the massive human jam. However, after seeing the Italians still feeling so happy and enthusiastic about the race, I learned to enjoy the race instead of complaining about the human jam. A need to repent and stop complaining about such things in life, because somethings are just uncontrollable. 

We finally got out of the human jam after 20 minutes and continue to head on to the starting line. The Italians were dancing to the music and started slow jogging to the start line. I asked them to go ahead first since all of us run at different pace.


Taken about 100 meters before reaching e starting line. The clouds were really beautiful that day. 

Put on my ear piece and started my running app and off I go to complete this 10km. My mind was indeed beating my own PB from GEWR 2014  but I told myself to take it easy and not give myself too much stress. Afterall, it's the last race of the year. Just give it my best shot and don't look back. 

Saw these 'cosplayers' when I was entering my 2km. I really do admire their effort in dressing up and walking through the 10km. It was indeed a super hot morning that day.

Photo credits to: Runing Shots 




I can't help but keep looking back at them and notice that they were running for a cause. Thumbs up! 

My pace for the first 5km was equivalent to that of GEWR. I was quite happy to keep up with it but when the sun came up after that, I had to run the last few km with my mind. Dragging my feet and stopping more than usual, getting thirstier than ever makes everything harder than usual.

The sun was making everyone going bonkers be it whichever category they are running in. The biggest problem that day was the super hot sun which greeted us after 8am. 

It's either we run faster and beat the sun, if not we will have to continue running under that hot sun! I have to keep telling myself "I've come this far and this is the last race of the year, I've to perserve, it's not longer about PB, it's about completing it!" 

Upon passing the finishing line, we were given free towel! Something really useful because everyone were sweating. Gotten my 100 plus and went to catch up with the Italians. One of them came back before me and one of them after. 

It was not hard to spot them at all and we took photos before heading for breakfast. 


Accidentally cut my finger while opening the 100plus so that explains the big bandage over my index finger. Really grateful to the volunteers at the first aid station who attended to me, they can't do much but at least they provided me the bandage so as to stop the bleeding.  


A group photo with the coli who went (but didn't run and help me to take my stuffs), Italians and me :) 

Despite the fact that they arrived only 2 days before the race and am still recovering from jet lag, I admire their determination to complete the race. 


Last race of the year checked! And yes I put my favorite nick up on the bib. 

More photos from the official marathon photographers...



There were a big group of photographers at that point so I just smile to them. But I can't find any pic which I was directly smiling at them lol. Only had this side view.





Not forgetting, I chose to run the last race of the year with my old kicks because I some sort think my new shoes have not been seasoned well enough yet. Shall season it more and bring it out in 2015! 

Completed 8 marathons this year and I can only say it's time to restart the running calendar and start planning for marathons in 2015 :)

1 comment :


  1. Nice information.. Thanks for sharing this blog. see my website also
    ONE STOP DESIGN SOLUTIONS is an integrated full service architectural and interior solutions company. OSDS has deep capabilities to conceptualize, execute and manage an interior project on turnkey basis- from conceptualization to execution VIEW MORE:- Best interior Designer in Dwarka

    ReplyDelete