Monday, August 25, 2014

Shape Run 2014

It was my first year participating in Shape Run. It's one of those rare marathons out there, that have lots of freebies in the race pack. There's also a race tee and not forgetting a finisher medal + tee. 

All these are available for all the race category so no matter you are running for 10km or 5km, you will receive all these! 

What a good deal right? I regretted not joining last year hence I reminded myself to sign up for the race this year. I signed up during the early bird period and paid only $40! 

The race pack collection was held at Suntec. The queue was no doubt long for the race pack collection especially during peak period, but the queue was moving fast enough :) They divided the race pack queues up into 5km and 10km runners. 




A #flatlay of what's in the racepack. So many stuffs and the race tee is of a very nice bright pink color! I bought 2 more packets of Voortman biscuits. They were really yummy, I tried out all the different biscuit flavours at the race expo and decided to grab 2 packets for $5. 

Fast forward to race day..

It was my earliest race to date, having to reach the starting point, Nicoll Highway, around 6+am. I've all along thought that the starting time is 7.30 am and I could slowly take train there but it's not!

It's my first time setting off from my new place to town area for a race, I'm lucky enough to flag down a cab at such unearthly hours without the need to book a cab. Derp has actually grab a taxi via grabtaxi app but it's 6 mins away. While waiting, we saw a cab that's coming in our way so we just hop on and cancelled our booking. So we saved $3 lol!


A race day #ootd before parting with Derp. 

In the end, I forgot my cap is with Derp so I went to find him before heading to the starting point. On the way to the starting point, I met Karen and Kelvin who has just reached the race site too. Took the chance to take a photo before we get all sweaty and exhuasted lol. 


My eyes can barely open at 6+am. 

Trust me, I almost went back to sleep when my alarm clock rang that morning. 

Karen and I went to stand at the starting point and wait for the flag off. 


Did some warm up lead by true fitness instructor, but due to space constraint we dare not do every action as demonstrated because we could just easily whack other runners beside us. 

The race flag off shortly after the warm up. 

It was a slow start because of the amount of people but I took this chance to slowly pick up my pace. I try to maintain my constant pace to avoid running too fast if not I will be exhausted even before the 5km mark. That's one of the mistakes I made pretty often. I managed to grab some plain water at the first water point at the 2+km water point.

When I reached the second water point, it was very congested. I've no choice but to just run on because normally I can run 4-5 km without having any water. 

But never did I know the next water point is so damn far away! There were only 3 water points hence I  endured till the last water point which is near the 8km point. 


I happily thought there was water point at the F1 race pit but nope don't have! It seems like a possible place to have water point because the space is really big. Anyway. it's really cool to run pass there and I can see all the various 'garage' for the different race cars. My eyes brighten up upon running pass there and this makes me forgot how tired I am. 

I passed by the 1 hour 20 minutes pacer after 1-2km of the race. I ran the first 5km with my legs and the remaining 5 km with my mind. During my normal running days, I usually only run 5km and that's the maximum because Derp don't really like me to run that much. Hence, we compromise on 5km but anyway, I don't have that much time to run more than that too. 

For the remaining 5km of the race, I look forward to each distance marker. Those sundown marathon memories came back lol. 

The 1 hour 20 minutes pacers were right behind me when I was into my 7km. I spotted Bobby Tonelli among them :) Oh man, I do miss those days he hosted the morning show on 987fm. With my ear plug pluck in to my ears during the race, I can still hear his voice haha! I was wondering why is there someone who can still talk so much and don't feel breathless at all lol! 


They overtook me when we were nearing the last water point. Bobby Tonelli is at the most right of the photo above :) The pacers were consistently checking those around them whether are they okay and encourage fellow runners. 

Thanks for the encouragement guys though I think I gave your a black face lol! My default face during marathon. It's hard to smile especially during the last few km of the race. 

My mind is only filled with completing the race but who knows the last 1km of the race were full of slopes. Argh! 

Derp were there cheering me on for the last few 100 meters :) He was waving at me while I make the last dash through the ending point. 


A photo with my No. 1 supporter. Thank you for waking up early and go with me to the race. You know you do not have too but thanks for accompanying and waiting for me. :) 

The queue for collecting the finisher medal and finisher tee were in a mess! 

We were to queue according to our finisher t-shirt size. Karen told me size S and size M have the longest queue. I look at the SMS send by the organiser with regards to my shirt size (I don't remember what size I chose for the finished tee) and I realise I chose XS. Phew, a sigh of relief. 

I managed to get my medal and finisher tee quickly and took train back to have my breakfast before heading back to my bed. :) 

I'm glad that I've improved much as compare to my previous 10km race. I'm just 1 minute away from achieving a new personal best (which was clocked during last year GE's women run). If I've known, I will not slack that much lol! Oh well, I have this year GE and Stand Chart to beat my previous personal best. 

There's nothing as impossible as long as you keep trying. #word 

Below are some photos to end this long race review, picture credits to Sg Running Photos. I don't have a close up photo hence I crop those photos. My face is really very grumpy. So much for waking up so early haha! 





I will still go for next year Shape(though there were few hiccups this year) because I've added it into my race list from now on. The feeling to run with all the females is indeed a different feeling and I do hope to encourage more people around me to join the race too! #girlspower :) 

See you next year Shape Run, and may it be a better race in 2015!



1 comment :


  1. Nice information.. Thanks for sharing this blog. see my website also
    ONE STOP DESIGN SOLUTIONS is an integrated full service architectural and interior solutions company. OSDS has deep capabilities to conceptualize, execute and manage an interior project on turnkey basis- from conceptualization to execution VIEW MORE:- Best interior Designer in Dwarka

    ReplyDelete