Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Sundown Marathon 2014: Bring on the Night

Sundown Marathon 2014, it was definitely not another marathon that people think it was. 

It was my first ever half marathon with Derp and it's the first time we challenge ourselves to such a long distance, what's more, the race is held in the middle of the night when everyone else is sleeping. You are fighting against your own body clock to stay awake. Thankfully, we did slept enough before we went for the race. 

On the week of the marathon, I did not do anything special except for carbo loading myself with the buffet I had with my colleagues. 

I didn't have much time to train for the half marathon because May have been a hectic month. I was getting really nervous and afraid when Sundown Marathon is approaching. 

Not knowing what to expect, I can only heck and just do it. There's no point chickening out at the very last minute since you have already paid for it even though throughout the run, I did thought to myself why I join a half marathon and not stick to my usual 10km. 

Upon hearing Derp's mum have a MBS room from 30th to 1st, we were more than happy to have the room., though it was really troublesome to bring so many things for a Staycation(need to bring our sportswear and shoes). The taxi stand after the marathon was horrible and many of them have to call cab. We were glad that we need not do that and just head back to our room after our race.


Before the race :)


The starting point was at f1 pit building, a walking distance from MBS (Derp and I walked there during our last MBS Staycation for popeyes). 

Otw to F1 Pit building, spotted many 10km runners returning.

Walking to the start pen...

It was a bottle neck even before entering the race pit -_-".


Mandatory shots before the race! 




our selfie! 

The first few km started out smoothly though it was really humid, and as usual once the route reaches Nicoll Highway, it's like hitting on my Archilles Heels. My greatest enemies during marathon are Slopes!  

And I started feeling unwell around tanjong rhu area. By then we were almost completing half of the half marathon and we still have another 10km to go. 

The bottleneck at tanjong rhu was pretty bad. Even if you were jogging, someone who is brisk walking on the grass area can be even faster than you. 

We did not waste our energy and just brisk walk while over taking those who are jogging. 
We came to 2 or 3 water points that have totally ran out of water. It's our first time encountering such problem but what to do? We can only faster walk pass and head on to the next water point which is another 2 to 2.5km away. 

I totally can't run after 10km but I still can brisk walk pretty fast. I bet it was the water that I had at some of the water points were contaminated and also the weather condition wasn't really that good.

It started to rain when I completed more than half of the half marathon. The rain dd cool down the weather a lot, it definitely came at the right time! 

We stopped by the 14km point to have a good stretch for our legs.

The sheares bridge was a killer. I've always take can passing by that place but never did I know walking(not running) up that road is sooo difficult.


View while walking up sheares bridge at midnight 3++am..

There was 100 plus at the 16km mark( like finally) and I took a cup and slowly sip it while I continue my brisk walking. 

The view of MBS kept appearing infront of us and that was my only motivation: 'to get back to mbs and sleep!' 

By the time we finally reached 18km or so, my leg was really pain. We Jia you and make ourselves continue moving on to the final point. 

I'm glad we made it within the cut off time.

It's a once in a life time experience and I finally get to know what a half marathon is all about. Derp was pretty worried about me and ask me to walk slowly but my mindset was to faster complete it and go back and sleep lol! 

We didn't stay long after the race and drag our feet back to out mbs room. I kept telling Derp we cannot sit down, once we sit down we won't feel like standing up anymore. True enough, we took enough photos before sitting down and taking off tapes from our feet.





After I took out all the tapes from my soles and toes, I went to puk -_-. I was feeling really bloated for the 2nd half of the race and I'm glad I finally force everything out (though I didn't puke any food out). I felt so much way better after I puke. 

Derp gave me a #lastwarning after sundown and told me to collect more 10km medal instead of running half marathon. 

But come to think of it, I might just go for a half marathon for stand chart this year. Provided I train for it if not it's really #lastwarning from Derp. Lol! 

Some other photos from the offical photographer...



Ever marathon teaches me something new, I'm glad to have my hub around me this time round. Though I think he would have completed much earlier if he were to do it alone, thank you for accompanying me all the way. I know you must have felt really bored but you know I did my best :) 


It was indeed a memorable number 10th marathon. Let's jia you for our future marathons! 

"A couple who run together stays together"


No comments :

Post a Comment