Saturday, June 28, 2014

Jurong Lake Run 2014: Light up the night

It's my 2nd time participating in Jurong Lake Run and it's a run that holds so much meaning to me! Jurong Lake Run 2013 felt like it just happened yesterday and I can't believe it's time for Jurong Lake Run 2014.

They organized a evening run this year, which is something different compared to the past few years. I was quite disappointed because I do prefer morning run than a evening run. But because, Jurong holds so much memories and meaning to me, I know I won't give the race a miss  :) What's more, I only completed the 6km run last year and this year I intend to challenge myself to the 10km! It was more like a leisure run.

Last year, I ran the race myself (Sign up, ran and completed it alone!) and this year I've Derp running with me. 

The race pack collection was held in Chinese Garden itself. Last year, it was held at Taman Jurong CC(due to the haze alert) which I think is indeed a better place. We had to walk nearly 1km from Chinese Garden MRT to get to the race expo #hotdieme

I didn't collect the race pack at the scheduled time because I miss it (too busy with the new house) so I went on the next day instead. There wasn't much people on the 2nd day of race pack collection so the whole process was fast and smooth. :)


As usual, there were various booths selling all the different sports stuff like energy gels, sports wear and etc. Derp got himself some yummy sweets which are healthy too! It's a taiwan product, pretty costly for sweets but at the very least, it tasted good! 

Saw this big ass JLR sign and couldn't help but snap a photo with it! 


And so we went back home to try on our running vests. Many people were complaining on their facebook regarding the sizing being really too small. My belly button was showing  It was at least 3 inches off compare to last year singlet. A big hoo haa was created with people demanding for size exchange.

However, the management only allow exchange between the runners. 

The very next day, they announced there's some defects with their singlet. If you singlet is 1.5 inches off from the measurement on the website, you can go down to exchange but it's size to size exchange. Meaning size S for another size S. 

I happily went home to measure my singlet again and match it on the website. To my surprise, the measurements were almost similar to that on the website! I'm quite certain that when I chose the singlet size the very first time(when I was registering it), it was more than loose for me and the length is also long! But somehow the actual size I received, was much more shorter. :( 

I gave up the idea of exchanging the singlet because I'm afraid if I go down to change it, they give me back the same size again. It will be wasting my trip down.

The very next day again, they announced that they will be allowing everyone who wish to have their size exchange for another size to be done within the next few days. I then realized someone posted the below picture on their facebook page and somehow they got no choice but to allow the exchange to be done.


The running vests singlet measurement on their website in March as compared to that in June.

No idea where has the integrity/ethics gone to, or it may just be their IT personnel mistake. Thankfully,there's someone who took a screen shot of it and posted it online! 

Come to think of it, we have already paid for the race and should get our entitlements. But it wasn't our fault that we chose the wrong size, the measurements were changed and no one was informed about it.

I rushed down after work to exchange for a bigger singlet size for Derp and myself. I'm afraid that  I couldn't get the size we wanted because it's on a first come first serve basis. But phew, I worry too much haha! 


Pardon the messy background (trust me it's much better now because I've already start packing for moving house) , the singlet finally covers my belly button hahaha! 


Our newly exchanged singlets and bibs, all ready for JLR that Saturday.

Fast forward to the race day, we left house a little late because we are taking it for granted that it's just 3 MRT stations away. The walk way to the start point was slightly different from last year due to some renovations going on. 

When we reached the place, we headed to the baggage deposit. We spotted a long queue and just happily joined in. But who knows that's for people who have not buy the plastic bag  for baggage deposit. A volunteer came to tell us that is not the queue for bag deposit and directed us to the correct queue. Thanks for him if not we will be really late for the race.


The race have already flagged off while we were at the baggage deposit. 


Walking towards the starting line (outside science centre)


Yes, it has already flag off but we were taking our own sweet time before crossing the starting line. Chill and did some warm up to get ready!  

The first 2-3 km was really hot because the sun is directly shining on us. I didn't bring my cap along because it's a evening/night run.#regret The route was no different from last year, the first few kms were the best to run at because it was really wide. 

Around 1/2 hour into the race, the sun starts to set and the sky started to turn dark. Now I regret not bringing my lights out because some part of the route was really really dark. #remindedmeofsundown The sun set scenery was really beautiful and it has all been captured in my memory. :)

There were sufficient water points and there were 100 plus at every station! Woo hoo! But I think I did drank a little too much and I felt uncomfortable after the race. 

Upon finishing the marathon, the human bottle neck to collect the medal and finisher tee was really horrible. I felt as feel I can faint anytime because it was really crampy and lack of oxygen (especially after a 10km race, you just need more air!) I do hope that they can improve on that because I don't remember it being like that last year! 

We went to find my colis/ex colis after collecting the finisher tee and medal for photos! 


The group of us present at the Jurong Lake Run. 




The trio. 

Another pics of us credits to #runningshots

I was literally breathless and trying to gasp for some air while going up the bridge. Can someone explain to my why my spouse won't tired one ah? bth! He told me he look as if he's going shopping.


Yet another race checked off the to-run-marathons list of 2014.

I ran JLR with mixed feelings because I'm moving out of Jurong really soon. I'm gonna miss this beautiful Chinese Garden which I passed by everyday whenever I took train. This scenery/image have been with me for the past 25 years. It wasn't one of our best race ran, but it was definitely one of the more meaningful and memorable ones. I've also spend countless of mid autumn festival in Chinese Garden before. My dear parents use to bring me there pretty often when I was young to carry lanterns.

For every 1 km ran, JLR donate 1 dollar to their beneficiary charity. Hurray! I'm proud to say that we have each raised 10 bucks :) Running a charity race is definitely much more meaningful  because you are doing something good as well as keeping fit.

I'm gonna miss this place much.  if time allows, I will be back for JLR 2015.

Jurong, the place where I grew up in since birth, thank you for being so awesome and thank you JLR for the memories.  

No comments :

Post a Comment